l have been a part of a few successful wildlife rescues and educate people on wildlife and environmental issues. We have helped in issues to save wetlands, woodlands etc.to save the precious life within. It is well worth the effort. We can all learn to live and work together. Education is the key. In 2011 I won an education award from Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority for the work and photography I do. Habitat is fast disappearing and with it, many species are also declining in numbers. So many species can actually tell us the health of our environment and alert us to problems we need to know about. They all need to be protected.

Jen's Creative Photography

For the more domestic side of my work, for example, pet photography, babies and other photo shoots, please go to
Jen's Creative Photography

Followers

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Merlin Family,May 7th through July 22nd,2011

I was so fortunate this summer to monitor a merlin pair nesting. From May 7th, when a lady thought she had peregrin falcons. I offered to go ID the birds finding within minuets,a beautiful pair of merlins. They moved from that location however. But only a couple blocks over. They found a wonderful place to raise their little ones. Almost at the top of a huge Jack Pine. It only took a couple of visits to confirm she was sitting on eggs. Merlins lay 4 to 6 eggs that are layed about 2 or so days apart. They hatch out in same order. Incubation period is 28 to 32 days by the female. Days in nest are about 29 to 34 days. Typical fledge age is just over 4 weeks for females and almost 5 weeks for males. The fledglings follow flight of parents until at least fall migration. 2 to 4 weeks around the nest I believe. Between 6 and 9 weeks they should be on their own. I thank a good friend Ann B for that info. During my weeks at this nest sight I have met many great people of the area. Neighbours beside and across from the nest have been fantastic in filling me in on the days I was not there or after I left. I have put in 30 hours to date at the nest sight and countless more on the well over 1000 photos I have taken during that time. Weeding through the photos to choose the best for my upcoming blog has been difficult. I am working on a Merlin Family blog which I will be getting printed. I will also order a PDF DVD of same. I will make these available to those who would like to purchase it. I am not done yet. But I think it will be soon. As always in my nature watches I learn from my subject. These birds have been very co operative on their teachings. Some have approached me to see if my work is for sale. yes it is. Everything you see on my blog is for sale. Please contact me at: sashagirl12001@yahoo.com to find out more. Or for those who will see me at the nest site, please feel free to discuss it with me there. To protect the species from certain harrassment I am not giving out the location of this nest. This will be a great coffee table book or if you would like the DVD. Packed full of everything I documented during my time with the merlin family. Great to put on your DVD player or TV. Of coarse I can not put everything in this blog. But will carefully choose the best I can to share with you. The photos I have posted here are a little taste of what it will be like. But will have my information as well. Like the bald eagle,red headed woodpecker and monarch blogs you can view on the main page of natureworks.
My goal for my photography is to educate people on different species. I can not believe how many local people came to me and took interest in these birds. Some went home and brought back others from the house including grandchildren. Some got on the phone and said get down here you won't beleive this. Totally amazing responce. If the merlins only knew how special they are. Another job well done.



Momma merlin having a nice preening. Giving a little shake of the feathers after sitting in the nest for so long. Oh that feels good!!!



No comments: