l have been a part of a few successful wildlife rescues and educate people on wildlife and environmental issues. We have helped in issues to save wetlands, woodlands etc.to save the precious life within. It is well worth the effort. We can all learn to live and work together. Education is the key. In 2011 I won an education award from Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority for the work and photography I do. Habitat is fast disappearing and with it, many species are also declining in numbers. So many species can actually tell us the health of our environment and alert us to problems we need to know about. They all need to be protected.

Jen's Creative Photography

For the more domestic side of my work, for example, pet photography, babies and other photo shoots, please go to
Jen's Creative Photography

Followers

Monday, July 26, 2010

Red Headed woodpeckers,July 24th,2010

My red headed woodpeckers arrived late this year on May 12th. This is not my usual pair that have come here for years. I don't know why they never came back. But for whatever reason it was very different without their daily visits. However this is one of their off spring and he was here last year as well. But did not bring a family. I believe this to be his first family. When he arrived back he had his mate with him. A first here. Last year the other pair arrived back April 28th and the mate came on the 29th. Very early. Usually they arrive back around May 5th-7th and the mate one week later.
So this year was different all the way around. Not many visits from them. Male would come once in a while for a treat at the feeders. But would be days in between. Sometimes over a week. Then on the 23rd. He started coming daily and more than once daily. He was here morning noon and night. I had a feeling about these visits. 24th the same. 25th my son was outside and caught a glimpse of what he was sure was a red headed baby in the tress and called me right away. Sure enough. It flew over head and into our big maple. The familiar sound of that high pitch baby red headed woodpecker cry followed. Later in the day while I was outside. I heard them feeding. I went out front and caught these shots of them in the side trees. 2 babies in the tree being fed.
I think Mom may be in the nest with the last young one. Last year I had 2 and a couple weeks later Mom showed up with a 3rd. So here are a few shots of them. It was late in the day and they were high in the dark trees. But I managed to get a few not bad shots. Young stretching and snoozing. Dad getting food and feeding. Not to bad for the first day. They were very secretive on where they nested but I have an idea. It is good to have this new pair here. And hopefully the other pair did make it back to a different area.











No comments: