l have been a part of a few successful wildlife rescues and educate people on wildlife and environmental issues. We have helped in issues to save wetlands, woodlands etc.to save the precious life within. It is well worth the effort. We can all learn to live and work together. Education is the key. In 2011 I won an education award from Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority for the work and photography I do. Habitat is fast disappearing and with it, many species are also declining in numbers. So many species can actually tell us the health of our environment and alert us to problems we need to know about. They all need to be protected.

Jen's Creative Photography

For the more domestic side of my work, for example, pet photography, babies and other photo shoots, please go to
Jen's Creative Photography

Followers

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Not so good new years day


Out of nowhere came a big crash on the front window. I rushed over. Went outside in my slippers and looked around. Nothing. Then I spotted a sharp shinned hawk in the tree. Still didn't see anything else. Ran back in to get the camera. As I stood on the porch all of a sudden it rushed in again. 2 feet from me. Down to the ground and grabbed its prize. A male cardinal. I never even saw it there. They must of crashed together. And it fell into the base of a large plant there. But the sharpie new it was there,& was not leaving without its meal. I could do nothing.  But if this beautiful hawk came in like that with me standing there. It was hungry. And the cardinal, struggling as it did for its life was probably already done. If I interfered then it would have still died and the hawk who knows. It was very hungry. Would of gone without that much needed meal. I doubt it would of even let go. It was clearly shaken from its collision with the window. It was some hit. But it was so sad. Not the way I wanted to start the new year birding. I watched it for over an hour. It waited with the struggling crying cardinal in its talons until the bird was dead before it started to eat it. Then it ate every single morsel of that little bird. It sat there on and off just in a stare. I am sure it was hurtin. I left it to eat. Went back out after an hour. It was finished and sitting in the evergreen trees. Then it flew right at me. I mean I had to duck. It headed right for my head. Then I heard the m.doves behind me scattering. It left empty this time. No more food today. It was getting late. Soon all the other cardinals and juncos and all the birds were back at my feeder for their last meal of the day. I am sure I will see this bird again. I only hope it did not hurt itself in the crash. It seemed to fly okay. And darn fast. But boy did it hit that window hard. Cardinals are one of my favorite birds here. I have 5 of them at the best of times and some days more. They stand out like a sore thumb in the winter though. But I also have to look at it in a different mode. The sharpie, also a magnificent bird. This is a tough winter for our wildlife friends with all this snow. And this sharpie left nothing but feathers. One more much needed meal was awarded it today. And it fought hard for that meal.
 
One must die ,for one to live in their world!!!
















No comments: