l have been a part of a few successful wildlife rescues and educate people on wildlife and environmental issues. We have helped in issues to save wetlands, woodlands etc.to save the precious life within. It is well worth the effort. We can all learn to live and work together. Education is the key. In 2011 I won an education award from Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority for the work and photography I do. Habitat is fast disappearing and with it, many species are also declining in numbers. So many species can actually tell us the health of our environment and alert us to problems we need to know about. They all need to be protected.

Jen's Creative Photography

For the more domestic side of my work, for example, pet photography, babies and other photo shoots, please go to
Jen's Creative Photography

Followers

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Kingbirds in nest


High up in a tamarac tree nested a lovely family of eastern kingbirds. Their had neighbours on the other side of the tree but on the bottom floor. Nesting there was a beautiful Baltimore oriole family. They all got along well. No neighbourly quarrels. In fact they helped each other chase away would be predators. As I watched them almost every day. It amazed me more and more how they worked together helping to protect each others precious cargo. One day we had a holiday, Canada Day. Well everybody was all ready and when darkness came, the noise began. I to used to get into that party mode of noise, ooooos and awhs. Now I see it differently. Next day the first kingbird had prematurely fledged. Luckily it was pretty close to going anyways and got to the nearby tree. Mom & Dad frantically looking after it as well as the other 2 in the nest. One parent feeding it and the other still feeding and sitting on the nestlings. They were busy parents. It grew and grew and then got back to the nest area. It was a baby cowbird. Their nest had been chosen by the parasitic brown headed cowbird to be a foster parent for a young one. But all was working out. It was flying around a bit now and parents were feeding it. It would come to the nest for feeding. And the little kingbirds looked up at it with mouths wide, wondering why it wasn't feeding them too. 7 days later one by one the little kingbirds fledged. Joining their rather big and different sibling. I have a lot of red dogwood bushes in my front yard by the windows. Loaded with fruit. My mornings now were greeted by little cowbird on the wire and 2 little kingbirds in the trees or on the front porch awaiting their feed of fresh berries. Mouths open and calling for food. A robin also found the fruit and joined them. I never planted these bushes. The birds did. And I thank them for it every day. Because its the best entertainment I have had in years.










1 comment:

Angie in T.O. said...

That was a lovely story, I was so worried it was going to take a bad turn, I'm so glad it didn't.

Our squirrels plant us sunflowers every year, and I'm always happy to see them pop up in our backyard in some unexpected place.