l have been a part of a few successful wildlife rescues and educate people on wildlife and environmental issues. We have helped in issues to save wetlands, woodlands etc.to save the precious life within. It is well worth the effort. We can all learn to live and work together. Education is the key. In 2011 I won an education award from Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority for the work and photography I do. Habitat is fast disappearing and with it, many species are also declining in numbers. So many species can actually tell us the health of our environment and alert us to problems we need to know about. They all need to be protected.

Jen's Creative Photography

For the more domestic side of my work, for example, pet photography, babies and other photo shoots, please go to
Jen's Creative Photography

Followers

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

A dying red necked grebe

Along my walk I met all kinds of people who were also very upset. One couple in particular I met when we came upon this dying grebe. They put these rotting apples in front of her to see if she would eat it. And filled a clam shell with fresh water. The bird could not get up nor did it try. It couldn't. It did however try to grab the apple and water. It was clearly hungry. But could not move. It's eyes were closed when we arrived. But when it herd us it opened them just a tiny bit. It looked at us and it was the sadest thing I have ever encountered. It's head kind of bobbing and every now and then it got stronger. It was struggling to survive. It's breathing was already laboured. We were helpless in helping it. The woman was almost in tears. "Why can't we get it help she said". Truth is we do not have enough wildlife rehab centers. Toronto Wildlife Center could of taken her I am sure but are to far away. Another one way up in Huntsville. But we have lost our wildlife rehab in Midland "OSPCA". The one she could have gone to. Not enough funding.I doubt they could of saved her. But they could of at least put her to rest humanely so she didn't have to lay there scared and suffering. How aweful that must be for the poor little things. All these people gathering around her and talking to her. People cared but were totally helpless to do anything. She lay there alone and scared. As darkness set in I for some reason looked back,I saw her moving around a bit over top of the driftwood I built up around her for protection from the winds that blew so strongly. I thought maybe she was actually moving a bit. I was impelled to walk back. But she wasn't. She was more alert and moving her head around more. But not for long. She was tired,and I think very frightened. I had to leave that little bird. I hated to leave her behind. But I am not a trained rehabilitator and I had no place I could take her. And we have been told not to touch these birds also. To keep our pets away. Well there are dog tacks all over that beach and all around those dead birds. Are we not suppose to be the intelligent ones?? It is common sense to me that when you see something dead you keep your pets away from it. Never mind a beach full of hundreds of dead birds and fish. Come on people. Think! People were actually picking the dead birds up and wanted to get a picture of the species affected with no protection. Not good. I just stood by and watched and said not a good idea guys without gloves especially. He said your right,we could get sick. But continued on. Just caring people who wanted to learn more as I do. What species is it affecting etc. Very nice people. But you could clearly see that without picking them up. So why put yourselves at risk. As for our wee grebe. I walked away leaving her alone on a deserted beach now. The sun was going down quickly and it was getting cool. The lake looked so peaceful. But peaceful it wasn't at this time. And I couldn't help but feel very sad and upset for her.
It was a dark night!









No comments: